San Jose Bike Party Edit
San Jose Bike Party is not officially a Critical Mass ride, though it takes its inspiration from CM and in many ways resembles a CM.
How Bike Party is like CM:
- many bikes, once a month
- two wheels=good, dino-burners=bad
- music, bright lights, lots of fun
- no leaders - collective organization and mutual aid saves the day!
How Bike Party is not like CM:
- late at night - 8:30pm
- non-confrontational - we let cars pass whenever possible
- routes are pre-planned and publicized
- costume/music "themes" every month
- not quite "anything goes" - sloppy drunks and inconsiderate jerks are not welcome
Third Friday of every month, 8:30pm. Ride typically departs by 9pm at the latest - stragglers are on their own. Rides typically last about 3 hours.
The ride start location and route changes monthly. To find out information please visit the website www.SjBikeParty.org
How We RideEdit
- Know the law, and follow it...especially when doing otherwise might endanger others. (No DUI, use front & back lights & reflectors)
Leave no one behind
- Take care of your fellow riders.
Stay together - ride as one
- We are safer as a group. Once we start across an intersection, we ALL cross if it's safe to do so.
We take the lane
- We are a vehicle. Take the full right lane. Whenever we can, we leave left lanes for cars.
Roll past conflict
- Don't let angry drivers ruin the ride.
Respect the Ride
- We are all here to have fun.
- E-mail list - features links to other resources, plus e-mail archives
- Myspace page - generally kept current
- Facebook group - also generally current
- old Critical Mass page - historic, from 2006.
-  - site webpage
- Light Rail: The VTA Light Rail's Winchester line runs to downtown Campbell from downtown San Jose (including Diridon Caltrain station) about every 20 minutes.
What to BringEdit
- a bike (any bike, really - but make sure it rolls!)
- your friends
- lights - this ride is ALL after dark, so white front light and a red rear light are a MUST. spoke lights, down-low lights, etc. are super-rad.
- snacks & beverages - refreshment stops are few and far between
- repair kit & tools
- boom box
- your friends
Planning meetings usually happen a week or two before a ride, generally on Tuesday evenings at a coffee shop in the area. Watch the e-mail list, Myspace, or Facebook for updates.