Critical Mass in Gisborne (NZ) Edit
12.15pm assemble at The Marina carpark then depart 12.30pm, bike around arrive at Soho for a debrief and drink (or back to work) by 1pm.
For the really keen, here are some policy/plan suggestions for consideration/discussion amongst interested individuals/groups and with GDC:
- accelerate the timeframes in the Walking & Cycling Strategy  for establishing cycle corridors throughout the city, road user education programmes and incentives for residents (and visitors) to walk and cycle instead of drive within the city;
- ensure that the WCS actions have financial resources assigned to them within the 2009-2019 Long Term Council Community Plan;
- investigating the passing of a by-law prohibiting the sale of alcohol in glass bottles by businesses with off-licenses (breweries argue that glass keeps the product colder longer);
- re-establish and support a community advisory group (including the groups who made submissions during the public consultation in 2003-2004 and cycling groups) to regularly monitor the implementation of the Walking & Cycling Strategy;
- undertake a formal review of the WCS in 2009 to confirm the identified priorities and plans are still supported by the wider community and initiatives take into account subsequent policy and technology/planning developments;
- establish a contracted or part-time (0.2FTE) position within GDC to identify and secure funding from outside of GDC to bring forward the implementation of WCS actions.
Contact: Manu Caddie (manu[at]ahi.co.nz or 0274202957) for more information.